Monday, March 19, 2012

An Unexpected Surprise!

My water broke at 6:30pm on Monday 2/6/2012, which was 34 days before my due date.  When it broke I started freaking out, and as if on cue Jake called me.  I told him what happened and he could hardly believe me (he later said he thought I was testing him!)  I called the doctor and they told me to go into Riverside to Labor and Delivery. Jake rushed home and our neighbors came over to get Gogi so we could go to the hospital.  And then the fun began!  I was admitted to the hospital at 1cm dilated, they decided to watch me overnight to see if I would progress on my own.  In the morning I was only 3cm dilated so they decided to induce me.  I was started on pitosin (SP?) and given an epidural.  I dilated quickly from 4-7cm around 10am, and we had a scary moment where (yet to be named) baby's heart rate fell off the monitors.  The doctors responded quickly and the heart rate came back.  I then was able to dilated to 9cm, but stayed that way for several hours.  After 25 hours of total labor the doctor informed us that I needed to have a c-section.  They said he wasn't coming the normal way, and if we prolonged it any further we risked infection.  I was wheeled back to the operating room and Jake scrubbed in and was able to join me about 15 minutes later.  The surgery was quick and within 15 minutes baby yet to be named Garber was born!  He came out crying at 7:13pm on 2/7/2012, and it was music to mommy and daddy's ears!  All of the fear and unhappiness I was feeling from having to have a c-section melted away when that little guy made his first appearance in the world.  



The doctors said they thought he would be between 4.5-5 lbs, but he shocked us all and tipped the scales at 6lbs, 19inches.  Since he was born 4.5 weeks early he got a 5/9 and 8/9 on his apgar scores so he was taken to the NICU.  In NICU he was put on a c-pap machine, feeding tube, and IV for antibiotics.  They said he was doing really great, but he just needed a bit of help.


We spent a lot of time in the NICU with him those first few days, and we loved every moment of being with him.  After two days he was taken off of the c-pap machine and breathing room air so his feeding tube could also be removed.  He had to keep the IV in for a few days, but he was doing great!  We were so happy to hear that he was released back to the well-born nursery the day before I was discharged and that we could all come home together on Saturday!

Since we weren't expecting him it took us about 24 hours after his birth to finally decide on a name. We had been trying to decide between Weston and Owen, and just couldn't commit to one name in particular. Finally after much deliberation we decided that his name just WAS Weston. It was the name we kept coming back to and it just fit him. We gave him the middle name of Jacob after his daddy and my mother's maiden name of Jacobs. Once we decided on Weston Jacob Garber, we couldn't have been happier. We love him so much and we love his name!!


No comments:

Post a Comment